Thursday, November 3, 2016

My Family's Connection to the 2016 World Champion Chicago Cubs

I just want to congratulate the Chicago Cubs for winning their first World Championship since 1908. They deserve it, the city of Chicago deserves it and, most importantly, my whole entire family deserves it.

Why is that?

My family & I have a personal connection to the Chicago Cubs as my Grandfather, Douglas Roy Hailey, played catcher & occasionally pitched for a Cubs Minor League Affiliate a LOOOONG time ago. But his promising career was tragically cut short after he blew out his arm & knees throwing a ball while crouching down behind home plate during a practice game at Wrigley. The funny thing is, though, the scout who signed him [I couldn't find the scout's name anywhere] mistakenly wrote "Roy Bailey" on my Grandfather's 1st Professional Baseball contract, which was worth $1,000, which was a lot of money for a Minor League Player back then. In the scout's defense, my Grandfather was called by his middle name "Roy" in those days by his parents. Below is a picture of my Grandfather Douglas, courtesy of the Society for American Baseball Research [SABR].




No comments:

Post a Comment