Monday, November 28, 2016

My Evaluation of Jerry Dipoto

I really am pleased with Mariners General Manager Jerry Dipoto.
I know there are many Mariners fans that aren't too pleased with the trade of Taijuan Walker for Jean Segura, but I must admit I'm one of those that was wondering when Taijuan was going to "reach his full potential" and if he was going to do it at the speed we needed him to given our situation, which is to win now. Not only do I believe it was time to move on, I personally believe that Jerry got a pretty decent deal out of him. The Mariners have a legitimate shortstop in Jean Segura, now.

But like the majority of Mariner fans, I wasn't too thrilled with the shortstop the Mariners had last season in Ketel Marte either..
I know that time will tell on all these
acquisitions, but I'm THRILLED that the Mariners have a GM that does things to fill the gaps that the team had last year. A player like Danny Valencia, for example, will help greatly versus left handed pitchers. Jerry Dipoto's seeing needs and ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING to fill them.
There was a time not long ago that I was wondering why the hell Mariner management wouldn't get rid of the dead weight to bring in star players.. NOW the Mariners have a GM that can work quickly.
But Jerry's not done... he hasn't spent any cashola...yet! My next guess is that he'll pay A LOT OF $$$ for a starting pitcher. Perhaps a damn good one. He knows the hole he made by getting rid of Walker, so I'm thinking he'll fill it soon.

So... as I see it, the Mariners offseason to-do list consisted of:
Get rid of Chris Iannetta & that racist catcher [Steve Clevenger], add Carlos Ruiz as the catcher [Check!]
Remove Franklin Gutierrez [as much as I hate to say it], Adam Lind & Dae-Ho Lee.. add Valencia [Check!]
Remove Marte, add Segura [Check!]

Next up: Remove Walker, add ????
So far, nothing but plus signs in my eyes & I can't see Dipoto reversing course... It's not in his DNA to reverse course, at least from what I've seen from him since he first took the job as Mariners GM at the end of 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment